New to Taggia, Chef Massimo De Francesca brings his international cuisine inspired by global flavors and culinary traditions. DeFrancesca studied at the Culinary Arts (Italian) Program at George Brown College in Toronto, where he spent part of his studies on Italy's Adriatic Coast working with Michelin-starred chef Vincenzo Cammerucci at Lido Lido Ristorante. Upon graduating, Massimo moved back to Toronto where he was fortunate to work under the tutelage of world-class French chef Jean Pierre Challet before taking off to the sunny Westin Casuarina Resort in Grand Cayman. Upon moving to the United States, Massimo joined the Kimpton Restaurants team as the Executive Chef of Domaso Trattoria Moderna in Arlington, VA before making the move to sunny Scottsdale, Az to lead the Taggia team.
- Q: Who is your culinary mentor?
- A: My culinary mentor is Jean Pierre Challet
- Q: What do you consider your best culinary creation?
- A: A tossup between the newly designed crispy niman ranch pork belly with espresso lacquered royal trumpets, pearl onion-cauliflower puree, ancho chili-demi glace and chocolate sea salt or how this dessert came out; Red velvet soil, white chocolate-truffle mousse, beets marshmallow and cocao nibs
- Q: What inspires you?
- A: The industry is rapidly changing and has become very competitive over the last 10 – 15 years. For that I believe we chefs around the world are learning and inspiring each other constantly every day.
- Q: What are your favorite classics to cook?
- A: In no specific order; risotto, all seafood/fish, anything tartar and anything pastry
- Q: What is your favorite kitchen tool?
- A: Lately, "Rosle" Fine tongs, but always the magical microplane
- Q: Who would you love to have eat at Taggia?
- A: A table of four consisting of; Massimo Bottura, Ferran Adria, Rene Redzepi and Sean Brock.
Taggia | 4925 North Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 | Phone: (480) 424-6095 | www.taggiascottsdale.com